Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Tree Shade and Morning Sun


This photo was taken on August 28th at 7:00 in the morning. I am on #5 North green. I was facing directly east towards the sunrise. We have had some weak turf on this green this summer. If you read the 2012 USGA Report on the club's web site, Bob Vavrek our USGA Agronomist talks about morning sun and what it can and can not do for the turf on a putting green.

I took this photo using an app on my Iphone called SunSeeker. You are able to take a photo and superimpose the sun's path and you can clearly see which trees will block the early morning sun's rays. Unfortunately for this green to get much better I am afraid that some trees might have to be taken out to get the benefits of the early morning sun.

Here is an aerial view of the green from Google Earth.