Saturday, October 11, 2014

Week 8 recap

Week 8 Recap

This broken record seems to continue to be played every week. Once again mid-week we had ½” of rain to derail the progress for a couple of days. However some very exciting things did happen this week.

All of the focus is on the area around #13 green and #14 tees. We want to finish this area and move out of there so that #14 can be finished and we can move to other project areas. The greenside bunker on #13 green will be finished today, there was supposed to be a bunker the entire length of #13 green but there really was not a lot of room in that area to make a bunker look good, so it was decided to scrap the bunker and move the pond closer to the green behind the bunker. It really looks nice. Look for a flyover video soon on the blog page to show you how it looks from up top. I think you will really enjoy the new look.

Here is a look at a few photos from around #13 green.



The new berms are almost completed behind the green and ready for sod. The cart path around #14 tees will be installed today and then the final finish can be done around the tees. We should be able to seed the tees next week and install the bluegrass on the tee banks and berm, moving out of that area. A tremendous amount of work has been done in this area and I will be happy to move onward.

On #13 the new tees have been cored out and sub-bases have been leveled. The new forward tee is now moved and will be ready for the next phase of construction.

Cart path on #11 is 95% done and crews are working to backfill and sod along all of the new cart paths.

#8 green was reseeded last Sunday. We have had it covered all week and it is slow to germinate however there is a lot of seed up and it is looking better. We continue to push #14 green and we are mowing it about 3 times a week.

We started the construction of the new wall around #12 green. This will be a wall that is modeled after the 17th green at TPC Sawgrass. We had structural engineers design the new wall to make sure it will work in our climate. We ordered the rough sawn lumber from a local distributor and it has gone through the saw mill out west. The wood will all be Douglas Fir, it was treated and loaded on to semi-trucks last night in South Dakota. We will take delivery on Tuesday morning and we will start construction right away. This is a big project and we are doing it in house with our staff.
First step was to cut away the bank around the green. The excavation work will be finished this morning. Over 120 loads of pond bank were removed from that area and moved to another sight on the course for future work. The bank was shored up with plywood and posts to keep everything intact and to provide some stability of the pond bank. We have to be very detailed in all of our elevation measurements as we go. A shelf was cut in at a specific elevation as we did the excavation. Next step will be to install all of the upright posts. We will use a 18” auger to install them and backfill around them with concrete. Next week I hoped to have some much better progress photos for you to see. It is a very exciting project and should look really good.Our biggest challenge is to control the water coming from upstream. Rain is our enemy right now.



Overall progress continues to be made despite the rain. We have yet to have a week where it hasn’t rain. That is the hand we have been dealt and we will push to continue to the end.